Saturday, December 03, 2005

<<Home

True Story

YOU ARE VISITING THE OLD MALKIN(S)WATCH. THAT'S FANTASTIC. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW MALKIN(S)WATCH WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE.
I went to the grocery store tonight (Vitamin Water, 10 for $10 - true story!) and observed an early skirmish in the war on Christmas.

I was standing in line, and at the head of it was a lady (wearing a "Bah Humbug!" sweatshirt - true story!) who wanted to buy some stamps.

The cashier gave her a packet, and she looked at them. I couldn't quite see them, but she handed them back and said, "Do you have any others?" The checker said no and she took them again, obviously annoyed.

I got to the counter and asked the cashier about the stamps that she had objected to. He demurred, claiming (pretending?) not to know exactly what was depicted. As he gave me my change, he begrudgingly pulled out a packet and showed them to me.

And what kind of stamps were they?

Madonna and child
.

True story.