Friday, December 02, 2005

<<Home

Friday Poetry Blogging: Post-BAR day edition

YOU ARE VISITING THE OLD MALKIN(S)WATCH. THAT'S FANTASTIC. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW MALKIN(S)WATCH WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE.
All is quiet at michellemalkin.com, which is handy, because I'm still reeling from my choke-artistry yesterday. But besides Lauren and me, BAR day was a huge success - one which will hopefully continue as we go forth from here.

Enjoy the poem.
Dinner Guest: Me by Langston Hughes

I know I am
The Negro Problem
Being wined and dined,
Answering the usual questions
That come to white mind
Which seeks demurely
To Probe in polite way
The why and wherewithal
Of darkness U.S.A.--
Wondering how things got this way
In current democratic night,
Murmuring gently

Over fraises du bois,
"I'm so ashamed of being white."

The lobster is delicious,
The wine divine,
And center of attention
At the damask table, mine.
To be a Problem on
Park Avenue at eight
Is not so bad.
Solutions to the Problem,
Of course, wait.
Update: And this isn't poetry, but it might as well be. From the front lines of the War on Christmas (and reprinted without permission from Sadly, No!) Jillian reports:


The "War on Christmas" meme invaded my workplace the other day, with hysterical results....

I work at a bank, and we've decorated our branch with pretty blinky lights and a sparkly tree with presents underneath it, and we pump Christmas music through the speaker system. We all think it looks gorgeous - me the atheist, my Muslim boss, and all of my Muslim and Hindu coworkers. Even the minority of my coworkers who are Christian like how pretty it is.

The other day, a customer came in who needed to speak to the manager about something. She walked into my poor boss' office and immediately started in on how pretty our branch looks, and how it was nice to "see some people who weren't afraid to stand up to the PC forces that run this country".

I knew this was going to be good, so I hovered around outside the office door to listen. This customer went off on a complete tirade about how this country was being taken over by Muslims with no respect for America or its traditions, and blah, blah, blah.... My boss (who is a peach of a woman) listened to this crap for about ten minutes, before interjecting with "Ma'am? I'm a Muslim, and I decorated this branch myself."

Man, I wish you could all have been here to witness this....it was a truly priceless moment. The old biddy knew she had just made a fool of herself, and failed utterly in her attempt to get out of the situation with any degree of grace.

My Christmas wish for each and every one of you is that you get to see one of these idiot War on Christmas windbags taken down the way I did.