Tuesday, June 28, 2005

<<Home

Objectively pro-bullying?

YOU ARE VISITING THE OLD MALKIN(S)WATCH. THAT'S FANTASTIC. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW MALKIN(S)WATCH WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE.
Michelle pokes fun at this, and maybe she has a point. I may be a liberal, but this seems like a quarter-baked idea at best.

But phrases like "pushover generation" and "a nation of namby-pambys"? That seems fairly naive for a woman (or Jesse?) whose child is nearing school age. As Ace of Spades says:
Losing a leg might be "character building," but most would prefer to keep their current complement of limbs rather than gain some character, and most kids would rather live their lives without ridicule and beatings than "learn to toughen up."
No such common sense from Malkin. I hope she doesn't have to learn the hard way how damaging bullies can be to a child.

And no, I'm not speaking from any particular experience, although I did take my share of heat for wearing glasses. But I've seen worse, and it scares me for my son. It's important to learn to stand up to bullies, but that doesn't mean that we should treat efforts to reduce bullying as efforts to wussify our kids.