Sunday, April 17, 2005

<<Home

April Agita

YOU ARE VISITING THE OLD MALKIN(S)WATCH. THAT'S FANTASTIC. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW MALKIN(S)WATCH WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE.
Get it?

Norbizness' Comedy Bracket competition is under way, and you should go there and vote. Here's my round 1 picks...
Bracket 1
Monty Python's The Life of Brian (1) vs. Heathers (8)
Sullivan’s Travels (4) vs. Animal House (5)
Some Like It Hot (2) vs. Repo Man (7)
Blazing Saddles (3) vs. The General (6)

Bracket 2
Modern Times (1) vs. Slap Shot (8)
Dr. Strangelove (4) vs. Trading Places (5)
The Ladykillers [1955 Alec Guinness version] (2) vs. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (7)
Waiting for Guffman (3) vs. M*A*S*H (6)

Bracket 3
Duck Soup (1) vs. To Be or Not to Be [1942 Jack Benny version] (8)
Caddyshack (4) vs. Royal Tennenbaums (5)
Airplane (4) vs. A Shot in the Dark (5)
The Philaldephia Story (3) vs. Office Space (6)

Bracket 4
Annie Hall (1) vs. Bedazzled [Moore/Cook] (8)
Safety Last (4) vs. Hollywood Shuffle (5)
The Bank Dick (2) vs. South Park (7)
Raising Arizona (3) vs. The Incredibles (6)
There's a mini-controversy brewing over whether the Incredibles deserves to be in the competition. I agree with that point of view - that the Incredibles is not really a comedy - but I voted for it anyway, because I'm a sucker for animation and it's the best animated feature ever made, in my opinion.

I also agree with commenter Alex who said:
If, as I suspect, The Left* is, in organizing this contest, merely trying once again to show his contempt for our democratic process, he could not have done better than by having The Ladykillers beat out Kind Hearts & Coronets and first-rate stuntman/third-rate "comedian" Harold Lloyd beat out the sublime Laurel and Hardy.
My endorsement of this view should in no way eclipse my appreciation of Norbizness' work on this contest.


*If you are a non-regular-reader of Happy Furry Puppy Story Time, 1) You're a fool. A fool, I say! 2) All is revealed.