Sunday, January 30, 2005

<<Home

Iraq elections bring hope?

YOU ARE VISITING THE OLD MALKIN(S)WATCH. THAT'S FANTASTIC. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW MALKIN(S)WATCH WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE.
First off, a news flash: Andrew Sullivan is apparently a left-wing blogger. I don't know why I should take seriously any post that begins with statement like that, but what the hell...

Malkin baits liberal bloggers who are remaining silent on today's election. Well, my friend the Liberal Avenger has something to say.
Today in Iraq, under paradoxical conditions of both extreme anarchy and martial law, Iraqis will cast their votes then return to their homes without electricity or running water.

Tomorrow the sun will rise upon the same Iraq it rose upon yesterday - a country descending into the depths of hell as a core of invisible people wreak havok against their neighbors and a hostile occupying army.

Tens of thousands of families of tens of thousands of victims of the war will awaken without their mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, neighbors, teachers, friends. Tens of thousands more will awaken without homes.
As for me, I'm certainly hopeful that these elections will mean a better life for Iraqis than they had under Saddam. I hope that we can bring our troops home soon while leaving behind a stable government providing security and the basics for all its people. I'm happy that Iraqis have gotten to participate in their own government, and impressed that they are willing to brave the attacks - and hopeful that the democratic will can help bring those attacks to an end.

Hopeful, but not optimistic. The chances are that it will get worse before it gets better. It's called recognizing a pattern.

By the way: I, for one, am reserving a big part of my judgement until I hear from Riverbend.

Oh, and: Here's Juan Cole on the issue.