Wednesday, March 23, 2005

<<Home

Aieee

YOU ARE VISITING THE OLD MALKIN(S)WATCH. THAT'S FANTASTIC. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW MALKIN(S)WATCH WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE.
Aieeee. (Warning: Aieeeee.)

Picture-which-looks-like-something-Mykeru-would-have-created (and that's a compliment) aside, Malkin lays out the dirt on school shooter Jeff Weise. A few "highlights" (emphasis Michelle's):
Under "More about me," Weise wrote:
Latest News: On anti-depressants. Seeing a therapist... Thats about it, I got a brand new pair of cuts on my wrists that are gonna turn into beautiful scars some day.
Yes, yes, we get the point. He was an emo listener.

Could anything have stopped this guy from executing his bloodbath?
I find it instructive that Malkin highlights Weise's cutting, his marijuana use, and his supposed interest in zombies, but not his background. (via Michelle, but she doesn't exactly highlight this stuff)
"My mom used to abuse me a lot when I was little," Weise wrote in a posting attributed to him on another website. "She used to drink excessively, too. She would tell me I was a mistake, and she would say so many things that it's hard to ... think of them without crying."
His mother is in a mental institution, and his father committed suicide. A recipe for serious mental illness if I ever heard one. This doesn't seem to enter into Michelle's version of the narrative, though.

Update: David Neiwert posits a sociocultural cause for Weise's actions, too - but this one rings a lot truer than reefer madness and Sunny Day Real Estate.